Here’s a little overview of my last few months:
Yes, I know, you didn’t hear from me for quiet a while (apart from the usual Twitter noise). But I wasn’t lazy! Actually I feel like I need to get rid of a lot of information. Here’s what I was up to in the last few months:
- Released the code review audit script scanner (crass) on github, which is basically a very much improved version of what I’ve talked about in one of my blog posts about a grep script. It is still heavy on the Android side, but supports a lot more now. Additionally it has some helpful other scripts as well.
- For historical reasons I released some code about the mona.py unicode buffer overflow feature on github, which I also wrote two blog posts about in the past. By now the entire code is part of mona.py (which you should actually use). It’s on github if someone wants to refactor and understand my code (more comments, standalone version, etc.).
- I released some very simple SSL MITM proxy in a couple of lines of bash script on github. To be honest, I was surprised myself that it really worked so nicely. It probably doesn’t work in all cases. I’m actually planning to write something on all the options pentesters have for SSL MITM-Proxies. There is also a Reddit discussion going on about it and I should definitely check those comments.
- I was teaching some very basic beginner classes in Python (and learned a lot while doing it). Some of my students are going to use IBM websphere and its wsadminlib, so I had a look at that code and it honestly shocked me a little. My code is sometimes messy too, but for an official script that’s just wow. As I’m not very familiar with IBM websphere apart from post exploitation, I don’t think I’m the right guy to fix the code (I don’t even have access to an IBM websphere server). So I tried to be helpful on github. Meh.
- I’ve analyzed how Android can be exploited on the UI level to break its sandbox, gave a talk about it at an event in Zurich (“Android apps in sheep’s clothing”). I developed an overlay proof of concept exploit (which is on github). When I emailed back and forth with the Android security team about it they had lame excuses like “we check apps that are put on Google Play”. That’s why I put malware on the Google Play Store (edit: removed link as with time I wasn’t in the mood the accept the new fine print for malware in the Google Play store, but it used to be on https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.example.dancingpigs) and of course they didn’t detect it. But Google doesn’t seem to care, it’s still on there. We publicly wrote about it in April 2015, that’s 6 months at the moment. Nearly no downloads so far, but you get the point, right? Regarding if the overlay issue is considered a bug, Android only acknowledged that “apps shouldn’t be able to detect which other app is in the foreground”. So when I sent them a link to a stackoverflow posting showing them that they failed at that in Android 5.0 they opened Android bug ANDROID-20034603. It ended up in the (finally!) newly introduced security bulletins (August 2015), referenced as “CVE-2015-3833: Mitigation bypass of restrictions on getRecentTasks()”. I didn’t get credited because I wasn’t the author of the stackoverflow posting. Whatever.
- I’ve released and updated my AFL crash analyzer scripts (Python) and other AFL scripts (mostly bash) on github.
- I have to be a bit more realistic about the heap buffer overflow exploits I said I was “writing”, I’m currently more failing at being able to exploit them (which is very good, I learn a lot at the moment). It seems I found crashes (with AFL) that are pretty hard to exploit. I’m currently looking at something that needs to be exploited through a free call (I guess). Anyway, not a problem, I’ll just dig deeper. I just have to make sure that I further do crash analysis rather than setting up new fuzzers all the time… so much fun!
- We went full disclosure on Good Technology, we released a XSS from 2013 that enabled you to wipe all mobile devices of your company as a regular user (just an example). Additionally, I found a new issue, an exported Android intent (aka insecure IPC mechanism) that can be exploited under certain conditions.